Re: can't find kmod info

Maid = Maid's Agreed Ideal Doctrine
----- Original Message -----
From: <bedlam@alumni.rice.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 12:48 PM
Subject: can't find kmod info

> I am having difficulty loading the 2.4.9 kernel, I get an error in kmod,
something to the effect

> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 8

binfmt-464c is ELF, that means that you got a ELF executable and the kernel
can't execute it natively (reads: no builtin support for ELF).

however, if you get this from 'modprobe', probably you want to do a

alias binfmt-464c off

in modules.conf :)

> I have looked all over and can't find anything documenting kmod.  I don't
know what binfmt-464c is either.  I made a list of all drivers I configured
as modules for the kernel build, and it included binfmt_misc, binfmt_elf,
and binfmt_aout, and that's it.  I guess what I need to know is:

> 1) Where is info / documentation on kmod?  I've only found it for
kerneld...

kmod is a sort-of wrapper for loading modules,

extern int request_module(const char * name);

usually we use it when in another module :P