Re: IrDA stopped working after kernel upgrade to 2.4.9

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:33:24PM +0200, thomas wrote:
> > I used "make menuconfig" and configured the kernel by hand (having read
> > the configuration from the old 2.2.18 config), was it wrong?
> > Does "oldconfig" makes some magic conversions from old version of
> > configfile?
>
> It only works from 2.Y.x -> 2.Y.x anyway (not 2.2.x -> 2.4.x) afaik (you
> could try it out though). I think the problem might be the old 2.2.18
> kernel to 2.4.9 upgrade.

Well, does it mean that reading the old .config file during the "make
menuconfig" can break something? (eg. some important config options may
become unavailable or the setting to chose from may get currupted?)
I upgraded many times  2.0.x->2.0.y, 2.0->2.2, and 2.0.x->2.0.y that way
and it allways worked perfectly (after the further review and manual
corrections).
Certainly some options were not used in newer kernels, and some new options
were introduced so even if I just read the old .config and write it back,
the new .config was different.

I have compared the original .config file from 2.4.9 (generated by "make
menuconfig" just after unpacking the archive, and saved without editing any
options)with my own "upgraded from 2.2.18". AFAIK There were no corrupted
options...

BTW. This is the section with IrDA related options:

CONFIG_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_MANY_PORTS is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_DETECT_IRQ=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTIPORT is not set
# CONFIG_HUB6 is not set
# CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set

# IrDA (infrared) support
#
CONFIG_IRDA=m
CONFIG_IRLAN=m
# CONFIG_IRNET is not set
CONFIG_IRCOMM=m
CONFIG_IRDA_ULTRA=y
CONFIG_IRDA_OPTIONS=y
CONFIG_IRDA_CACHE_LAST_LSAP=y
CONFIG_IRDA_FAST_RR=y
CONFIG_IRDA_DEBUG=y

#
# Infrared-port device drivers
#
CONFIG_IRTTY_SIR=m
CONFIG_IRPORT_SIR=m
# CONFIG_DONGLE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_IRDA is not set
# CONFIG_NSC_FIR is not set
# CONFIG_WINBOND_FIR is not set
# CONFIG_TOSHIBA_FIR is not set
# CONFIG_SMC_IRCC_FIR is not set
# CONFIG_ALI_FIR is not set
# CONFIG_VLSI_FIR is not set

> But since you upgraded all important packages
> (like modutils etc.) from the url you mentioned i'm kinda clueless.
> Maybe sth. went wrong. Pls check if lsmod -V gives 2.4.6 or higher.

lsmod -V
lsmod version 2.4.6

> Does everything work if you boot the old kernel again?

I can not check it because I have changed my filesystem e2fs->reiserfs
so it can not work with old 2.2.18 any more :-(.
BTW. Reiserfs performs much better, wastes much less space and up to this
time appears to be "power failure proof".

> If nothing helps then
> build 2.4.9 again, you probably missed sth. during the config.

I've quoted the IrDA related sections of my .config above.
It seems that everything is correct, but I may be wrong.
I was amused that using pilot-xfer causes loading of "ircomm-tty" and
"ircomm" modules but doesn't cause loading of neither "irtty" nor "irport"
modules. May be this is the reason of problems ???
I've tried to unload "irda" manually, and then load "irtty" and only then
run pilot-xfer. Unfortunately it didn't help anyway.

PS. I've decided to change the subject. I suppose that only a few people
know what pilot-xfer is. Probably "IrDA" is much more popular...
--
				Thanks & Regards,
	                      Wojciech M. Zabolotny

http://www.debian.org  Linux - free OS for free people!