Re: Network install switching to ppp access

High,

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 mullena@iwon.com wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> I like Debian.
>
> And for that matter.  I'd like to take my home machine in to the same rj45
> for faster updates/upgrades.  How can I make that ppp-installed Debian box
> access the intenet via nic?

If you have a gateway on the lan, it is very simple. Switch to an active
console during second stage installation an log in as root. By hand:
# insmod <networkcarddriver> 	(or modprobe <...>)
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw 192.168.1.254 eth0

and edit /etc/resolv.conf:
domain sacred-key.org
nameserver 130.161.180.1
nameserver 130.161.180.65

with your favorite data. You should be able to have a network connection.

When this works, you can use 'modconf' to configure your network card and
edit /etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0