Network install switching to ppp access

Greetings;

I like Debian.

I have at home a computer I installed Debian from floppy.  And I now connect
to the internet via ppp with no problem.  Unfortunately the software installation
is kind of slow.

So for a second computer I found T1/T2 access and after the floppy install
I upgraded via the network.

*Much* faster.

But the machine is intended for dial-up use only.  With perhaps another
trip to the rj45 for additional major software upgrades.

I first used wvdial to make the connection.  After disconnecting the rj45.
 But I couldn't access the internet.  I rebooted the computer with no network
connection.  Still no luck via modem.  I then went through pppconfig/pon.
 Still no network response.

Where should I look for the answer to my dilemma?  Which is; how to make
a network-installed Debian box access the internet via modem?

And for that matter.  I'd like to take my home machine in to the same rj45
for faster updates/upgrades.  How can I make that ppp-installed Debian box
access the intenet via nic?

I'm not a dumb man.  So if someone could point me in the right direction
I'll be off and running!

Tony -

Visit iWon.com - the Internet's largest guaranteed cash giveaway! Click
here now for your "Thank You" gift:
http://www.iwon.com/giftcenter/0,2612,,00.html?t_id=20157