Exim behind dhcp/ipmasq

Hi,

Until recently, my machine had a permanent IP address and DNS name and
I had no problem using Exim to send mail.  Now I am home for the
summer and we have one DSL line for the whole house, so there is a
router which lets everyone access the net with an internal IP address.
Now Exim works most of the time, but there are a few domains that it
can't send mail to, such as hotmail and sourceforge.  When I try to
send email addressed to an address at these domains, I get "Warning:
message xxx delayed yy hours" emails and finally "Mail delivery
failed".

I'm guessing there is some obscure feature of the SMTP protocol which
either is or isn't supported by almost all servers, and which depends
on the sending computer having a constant global IP address.  Has
anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, were you able to
resolve it somehow?

The error messages in /var/spool/exim/msglog/ look like

2001-08-16 11:53:05 Remote host mc7.law5.hotmail.com [64.4.42.7] closed connection after HELO localhost

for hotmail (which I have no idea what it means or how to fix it), and

2001-08-17 13:05:34 SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data: host mail.sourceforge.net [216.136.171.198]: 451 rejected: temporarily unable to verify envelope sender address <mas@kurukshetra.caltech.edu> (There was a temporary failure while looking up the hostname in DNS, it was unreachable, or the mail server(s) for that hostname is/are currently not responding and your address couldn't be verified. You may be using an internal hostname that's not reachable from the internet and if so, bounces can't reach you as a result. You should setup an MX record for it, or masquerade your domain to something that does accept mail from the internet. This failure is temporary

for sourceforge.  I've tried changing my envelope sender address
(since kurukshetra.caltech.edu doesn't mean anything any more) to the
actual IP address of the house (which is dynamic), but then I get

2001-08-17 13:15:29 routing failed for mas@64.169.119.185: unrouteable mail domain "64.169.119.185"

even though the router is set up to forward SMTP and I can send mail
to mas@64.169.119.185 without a problem.

Conclusion: I'm confused.  Help!

Thanks,
Mike

\\// | R | T R | L B | //\\ ~ Michael Abraham Shulman
http://kurukshetra.cjb.net/ ~ viritrilbia@users.sf.net
ICQ #329350  ~  AIM Djhuty  ~ jabber://mas@jabber.org

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction
listen to weather forecasts and economists?
        -- Kelvin Throop, III