Re: newbie questions

Hi James.  I can answer some of your questions...

It sounds like Netscape isn't installed yet.  To find out, get to a
command line by starting up an Eterm (or something similar, like xterm
or rxvt - these can probably be found in the menus when you click on
the desktop.)  Type 'netscape' <enter> in the window; if you get a
message like "netscape: command not found", then you need to install
the "communicator" package.  Do this by typing the command 'apt-get
install communicator' as the root user.  If you're not sure how to do
this, ask for more detail.  If you get some other error message, post
it here.

For games, each game has their own package.  'apt-get install
gnome-games' will install a few simple games (including a tetris
clone).  You can browse available game (and other) packages using the
deity program ('apt-get install deity').

Incidentally, I'm telling you how to install packages (software) with a
command line.  If you want a graphical program, try gnome-apt ('apt-get
install gnome-apt' if it isn't on your system yet :)  All package
installation must be done as the root user, btw.

Two good word processors are kword and abiword.  ('apt-get install
kword' or 'apt-get install abiword').  They are fairly equivalent to
each other, and both very good, with much of the functionality of MS
Word.

I don't know enough about database apps to comment, except that there
may not be an Access clone available.  (There are several good database
systems for developers, but that's not what you need I think.)  For
data needs that could be managed by Excel, you can try gnumeric or
kspread ('apt-get install gnumeric' or 'apt-get install kspread').

Let us know how this goes, or ask if anything's unclear.  And welcome
to Debian.

Aaron