Autodetect hardware...

Recently, I upgrade my kernel to 2.4.8 from a 2.2 kernel.  During the
process, my modutils files got overwritten by clean copies, losing all my
hardware configurations.  I unwisely did not make a backup of /etc before
doing this.

My question is, is it possible to re-detect all my hardware and generate a
new set of modutils files?  Since the install program correctly identified
my hardware, I must assume there is some way to generate this data.  The
reason I ask, is that the server is across town and I don't want to have to
go over there to check what hardware is inside just to configure it.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.