Re: newbie questions

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:

> I made the plunge and completely turned my Dell Inspiron 3000 into a
> Debian box.  I installed using the CD's (that is installed multiple
> times).
>
> After a few false starts I have a working Debian computer using the
> Enlightened desktop.  I'm unfortunately less than complete in my
> installation.  Under the main desktop menu, I cannot get some of the
> programs to respond.  Specifically I cannot get Netscape to run as well
> as I cannot get any games to show up.
>
> Also I need some suggestions on a word processor and user-friendly
> database program.  I have one week before I start classes and I'd really
> prefer  to get this box running under Debian.  I'm going into the belly
> of the  beast called Law School in the hopes of pursuing my idealistic
> interests in intellectual property.  I'm mostly technically savvy,but not
> completely (read: I'm a mechanical engineering by schooling and previous
> job).
>

> Thanks ahead of time for any help.
>
> James A. Hilsenteger
> hilsy@dsl-only.net

Netscape has to be installed off the internet.  It is not on the cd's.  I
had cd's that didn't install properly on my system. I tried it more than
once too.  I found out that not everything had got installed when I
installed a small program (joe) that I like for an editor.  Then all sorts
of stuff started installing.  These were packages I needed, but that had
just not finished installing.  I think there was a glitch on the cd
somewhere.

You might want to install Star Office.  It has access compatible db,
spreadsheet and word processor compatible with Word.  It takes lots of
memory to run and is pretty slow to load since it is big.  I'm still using
5.1 since I couldn't get 5.2 to install for some reason.  I think I had not
got a good download on it.  They are big files to download.

Anita