Re: Help with NIC configuration.

Hi,

I ran 'modconf', and it allowed me to add the ne2k-pci driver.  The driver
is now loaded when I boot, and I can see it when I run "lsmod".

But I still can't ping 127.0.0.1

I get the following warning message when my machine boots:

    insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/module/2.2.19/modules.dep

When I immediately ping 127.0.0.1 I get:

    ping: send to: Network is unreachable

If I first run

    ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0 xx.xx.xx

and then ping 127.0.0.1 I get:

    "neighbour table overflow"

It appears I have the driver loaded, but TCP/IP doesn't seem to be
functioning.  What would be the next step for me to try?  I assume I should
be able to ping 127.0.0.1 - and if I can't, then that would be the first
thing to get resolved.

I am using a fixed IP address, though my ISP (charter cable) says it is
really a dynamic one.  I *can* ping my xx.xx.xx.xx address from within
Windows2000 - so I think it should work as  a static under Linux too.
Apparently it only changes every few months. I have no idea how to configure
DHCP under linux.

- Bill