Re: Help with NIC configuration.

On 16 Aug 2001 00:45:20 -0400, Debian Baby wrote:
> I am trying to install Woody from the ISO images, but am having trouble
> configuring my network card (which is connected to my cable modem).
>
> When I installed Potato, the installation process had a dialog that prompted
> me to select and configure extra kernel modules - so I was able to get the
> ne2k-pci module working.  Woody does not seem to have this dialog, it goes
> directly to the "dselect" screen.  Is this normal?  Or do I have a bad ISO
> image?
>
> I have been trying to manually install the module.  "insmod ne2k-pci"
> generated some errors, but "modprobe ne2k-pci" seemed to work.  I could then
> do a "lsmod" and see the module loaded.  Then I ran "ifconfig eth0 netmask
> 255.255.255.0 eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx" which did not give me any errors.  After
> doing that, I could not "ping 127.0.0.1" or ping my address specified in my
> ifconfig statement.  Pinging 127.0.0.1 said "unreachable host" and pinging
> my actual address said "neighbor table overflow" (I think).
>
> Is there an easier way to do this?
>
> Was the kernel module dialog removed from Woody's installation process?
>
> I couldn't use Potato to upgrade to Woody, because it said "Perl 32 broken
> pipe" or something like that when I tried to upgrade by adjusting my
> sources.list file.  I think I need Woody to support my videocard

Did you actually get a static ip from @home?  I've been using dhcpd and
then pump in succession and having no real problems (intermittent
connection problems aside) in getting both potato to stable and the
network running fine.  What does your /etc/network/interfaces file look
like.  Which package gives the Perl 32 errors?

--mike