Re: Help: lilo wasn't able to install...

On 16 Aug 2001 09:33:18 -0400, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to get Debian 2.2 r3 to install
all night and have not
> had any luck. I made it all the way to the point
where Debian is supposed to
> make itself bootable off of the hard drive. Every
time it fails saying "lilo
> wasn't able to install...". It even failed when
trying to make the boot
> floppy. I tried several blank formatted and
unformatted floppies too.

On most computers made these days, the BIOS has hard
disk boot-virus
protection built-in. If enabled, this will stop LILO
dead in its
tracts from installing on the MBR, and it might even
prevent you from
making boot floppies. Go into your BIOS setup and see
if boot-virus
protection is enabled, and if so, disable it (you can
turn it on again
later after your installation has succeeded).

Also, if you want to boot off a floppy, be sure that
the BIOS is set
to allow booting from drive a:. Often there are two
settings that
control this: 1)set the boot sequence (floppy, CDROM,
hard disk) and
2)enable boot floppy seek.

Your BIOS may be a little different. If you still have
problems, let
us know the name of your BIOS manufacturer. Somebody
on the list
may have the same BIOS.