Re: Question about the GPL

>     I'm a GPL advocate, but I work for a company who doesn't feel quite the same way as me.
>     I recently edited WinVNC (yes I know it's windows, but I couldn't find a GPL mailing list).  This edited WinVNC was meant to be absolutely invisible to the user of the workstation.  There is no information that it ever used to be VNC or what it does (unless these elementary school teachers know a lot more about computers than what we think :)
>     Here's the question:  we are keeping this edited version of VNC completely within our local network.  Do we have to include or say, like a pop up, that it ever was VNC and/or GPL info?

To be certain, you'd really have to read through the text of the GPL
as distributed with VNC. As a general rule, you should always read the
license as it comes with the software, just in case there are any
special provisos (e.g. a clause requiring credit). It should be pretty
clear on these points. My guess is that you are probably safe,
especially since you are not redistributing the software.

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu