Re: Question about the GPL

on Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:34:18PM -0700, brandtd@linuxfreemail.com (brandtd@linuxfreemail.com) wrote:
>     I'm a GPL advocate, but I work for a company who doesn't feel quite
> the same way as me.
>
>     I recently edited WinVNC (yes I know it's windows, but I couldn't
> find a GPL mailing list).  This edited WinVNC was meant to be absolutely
> invisible to the user of the workstation.  There is no information that
> it ever used to be VNC or what it does (unless these elementary school
> teachers know a lot more about computers than what we think :)
>
>     Here's the question:  we are keeping this edited version of VNC
> completely within our local network.  Do we have to include or say, like
> a pop up, that it ever was VNC and/or GPL info?

Section 2(c) of the GPL deals with modified applications and notice
requirements for interactive programs.  Note:

    2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
    of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
    distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
    above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

	<...>

	c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
	when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
	interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
	announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
	notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you
	provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program
	under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy
	of this License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is
	interactive but does not normally print such an announcement,
	your work based on the Program is not required to print an
	announcement.)

My reading:  the notice requirement is predicated on modifying AND
distributing the modifications.  The (c) requirement isn't required
under the GPL for personal, or internal (within the company) use.

However, as a caution in the event of distribution, I'd add the
interactive note referenced in (c) as a matter of course.

IANAL, this is not legal advice.

If you (or anyone else) has questions regarding the GPL or other free
software licenses, news:gnu.misc.discuss, and the FSB (Free Software
Business:  http://www.cyrnwr.com/fsb/) and license-discuss