kernel headers for 2.219pre17

Hello everyone - I am new to Debian - used to use
Caldera OL 2.3 but I am not super proficient in Linux.
I am trying to install ALSA and it wants to use the
kernel headers from 2.2.19pre17... I have tried:
a)kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-idepci
b)kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-compact
c)kernel-headers-2.2.19
and have not had any luck... at best everything makes
and installs for alsa and as soon as i "insmod
snd-card-xxxx" or modprobe it ... it isnt there.
Everything gets installed in
/lib/modules/2.2.19xxxx... because it is getting its
install dir path from the headers... Have you guys
heard of this?  I cant find a similar situation on the
alsa pages...  I find the same problem of people
looking for the "vanilla" 2.2.19pre17 kernel headers
but no solutions posted...
Should I try to install the 2.2.19 kernel?  If it is
easier all around (not just with alsa) to get support
for kernel 2.2.19 I will try to make that.... (never
played with kernel before). TIA
Shawn Lamson

=====
Shawn Lamson