Re: kernel headers for 2.219pre17

On 14 Aug 2001 22:27:20 -0700, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> Hello everyone - I am new to Debian - used to use
> Caldera OL 2.3 but I am not super proficient in Linux.
> I am trying to install ALSA and it wants to use the
> kernel headers from 2.2.19pre17... I have tried:
> a)kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-idepci
> b)kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-compact
> c)kernel-headers-2.2.19
> and have not had any luck... at best everything makes
> and installs for alsa and as soon as i "insmod
> snd-card-xxxx" or modprobe it ... it isnt there.

You mean the system says Can't locate module X right?

> Everything gets installed in
> /lib/modules/2.2.19xxxx... because it is getting its
> install dir path from the headers... Have you guys
> heard of this?  I cant find a similar situation on the
> alsa pages...  I find the same problem of people
> looking for the "vanilla" 2.2.19pre17 kernel headers
> but no solutions posted...
> Should I try to install the 2.2.19 kernel?  If it is
> easier all around (not just with alsa) to get support
> for kernel 2.2.19 I will try to make that.... (never
> played with kernel before). TIA
> Shawn Lamson

Have you tried running depmod to update the systems concept of modules
after you install the modules?  Perhaps your modules.conf file is also
needing some fine tuning.  Can you include that in your reply if the
depmod doesn't fix your problem?

--mike