Re: jdk 1.3

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:48:46AM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
| dman muttered:
| > On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 08:49:49AM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
| >
| > | I use 'javac' to compile .java to .class, 'java' to run .class files.
| > | I've heard that gcj is only 1.0 compatible. Any know of a jdk1.3
| > | compatible compiler to create binaries?
| >
| > Do you mean like native binaries?  If so, then no.  Otherwise I use
| > jikes because it is nice and fast and produces better error messages
| > (IMO).
| >
| Yes, I meant native binaries which supposedly gcj will do but I haven't
| tried because it's so obviously out of date. I'll give jikes a try.

jikes won't produce native binaries, just .class files.

| Question: dselect wants to install something to give me Java VM to go
| with jikes (e.g., kaffe, jdk1.1). Should I just override this and
| install jikes by itself? Is there a graceful way to tell dselect that
| Java VM is already installed?

You could use 'dpkg --force' to override any dependency checking when
installing the package.

I used the j2sdk1.3 package from a blackdown mirror (UNC in
particular).  The package provides Java VM so I had no dependency
problems.  One thing to note -- jikes is a compiler only.  As such you
need to provide a path to classes.zip or rt.jar (depending on VM
version) in the CLASSPATH or on jikes' commandline.  I recommend the
command line and leaving the environment empty.  The CLASSPATH
environment can get you into trouble.

-D