Re: [Way OT] SunOS question

Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> writes:
HS> There's a Sun Sparcstation at work that I would like to use
HS> "virtual terminals" on, if it's even possible. So, is it ??
HS>
HS> 'uname -a' tells me this:
HS>
HS> SunOS fred 4.1.3 1 sun4m

The Linux virtual terminal support is provided by the Linux kernel
directly, so you're not going to get something identical on a machine
running Solaris (or SunOS 4).  It also has the annoying misfeature
that it only works on the physical console of the machine.  :-)

One common way around this is to use an excellent program called
"screen".  You can get source from GNU, or [[ObDebian]] 'apt-get
source screen' on a Debian box and somehow export the source to your
Sun machine.  Screen lets you run multiple programs under a single
terminal window in pretty much any environment, and even lets you
detach a session, log out, and come back to it later.  It's a godsend
for working with, say, a VT320.

(And in fact right now, since I've just moved and we have no real
connectivity, I'm sending mail from Gnus in XEmacs running in a screen
on a Solaris 8 machine, with the connection being a 14.4kbps modem
plugged directly into a VT320.  Having found the relevant frobs, life
is good, or would be for 10-year-old technology.  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell