Re: iptables vs ipchains vs ipmasq

On 11 Aug 2001 00:18:14 +0200, thomas anderson wrote:
> I want to setup my internal network to access the internet via my linux
> machine over a dial-up line. it seems that ipmasq does the trick...then ipchains
> comes along now iptables..the best bet so far is iptables...now, is there a
> reliable HOWTO that tellsa pretty  good *newbie* how to setup iptables for
> this setup or should I just use ipmasq instead? or maybe ipchains?
> unfortunately, my /usr/share/doc/HOWTO only has ipmasq-howto and ipchains-howto..

Well, FWIW, my setup is really simple, using iptables with a 2.4.x
series kernel:

iptables -F POSTROUTING -t nat
iptables -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -o ppp+ -j MASQUERADE -t nat

Of course, you need to make sure all the appropriate bits are compiled
into your kernel. You just have to execute the above lines either
manually, or putting them in your boot scripts to get it going, and of
course replace the 192.168.0.0/24 as appropriate for your network.

HTH,

Craig

--
Craig Holyoak