Re: iptables vs ipchains vs ipmasq

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 12:18:14AM +0200, thomas anderson wrote:
> I want to setup my internal network to access the internet via my linux
> machine over a dial-up line. it seems that ipmasq does the trick...then ipchains
> comes along now iptables..the best bet so far is iptables...now, is there a
> reliable HOWTO that tellsa pretty  good *newbie* how to setup iptables for
> this setup or should I just use ipmasq instead? or maybe ipchains?
> unfortunately, my /usr/share/doc/HOWTO only has ipmasq-howto and ipchains-howto..

The ipmasq package isn't used by itself, but in conjunctions with
ipfwadm|ipchains|iptables. It depends on what kernel version you are
running:

2.0.x -> ipfwadm
2.2.x -> ipchains
2.4.x -> iptables

The potato version of ipmasq will set up a reasonable set of rules for
ipfwadm and ipchains, while the testing/unstable version will do so for
any of these.  You can, of course, set up your own rules, but ipmasq
would be a good starting point.  You will also have to use a kernel
compiled with CONFIG_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_FORWARD,
and CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE.