Re: mount permission problems

> I've been struggling for the last few days trying to get my wife's
> Win95 laptop to access her Quicken files that I have on a fat16
> partition on my linux machine. There is something about 'mount' that
> is eluding me.

it's been eluding me a couple of times too...
vfat just doesn't have the place to store owner, group and full
permissions needed by unix filesystems! so chmod or chown on a vfat
partition are basically meaningless.

you can set owner and permissions for the whole filesystem with vfat
specific mount options: see man mount to see them all; you'll probably
need umask.

hope it helps!

pietro.