Re: mount permission problems

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:45:42PM +0100, P Kirk wrote:
> #! On Fri, Aug 10, 2001, Bob Koss wrote:
>
> >Mounting worked. By repeating the command I assume you meant
> >'chown -R sue /mnt/dosE'. If so, that failed as it traversed the
> >subdirectories of the partition.
> >
> ? Its meant to get all the subdirectories.
>
> As root do this:
> Make sure the partition /is/ correctly mounted.  Remenber that FAT
> doesn't have that many security options so if its correctly mounted,
> this should be easy.

AFAIK it doesn't have *any* filesystem security, hence the difficulties is
setting permissions and ownership...

If that partition has no other users, why not try adding the uid and gid
options to /etc/fstab? That will effectively make all files on the partition
appear to have the owner sue...

--
PGP public key is available by mailing iain.smith@mclsoftware.co.uk
with the subject line 'Public Key' or from www.keyservers.net