Re: Backing up harddisk prior to failure

Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My server's harddisk is making weird noises and telling me at the
> console that various things went wrong.
> All in all, I reckon the drive is about to die.
>
> How would people go about transferring the whole system (dpkg details
> and all) over to another disk (which I'm just about to buy) and then
> removing the faulty one?
> I've got no problem with putting the two disks in concurrently, but I'm
> not sure how to go about moving it all, short of bzipping each partition
> up. Even then, would that actually guarantee a working system?

My hard disk started  making those noises and just  hosed my system one day
so i had to reinstall the system. So now i have the solution which is a
program called 'Mondo'.

Mondo does a complete backup and restore of your system to bootable CD's.
It has 1-9 compression and burns cds on the fly. Then you just reboot the CD
and it restores the whole system.

It even will repartition your hard drive if you want. So i use it  to clone
my Debian and Slackware systems to extra partitions (i used it to restore my
ext2fs to reisrefs on one partition and ext3 on another ).

It makes a great 'Bare Metal Rescue' disk, because you just add the new hd
and boot the Mondo cd, and it restores the system. You can find Mondo at:

 http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/