Re: Questions about make a boot CD with Debian.

MESQUITA,GIOVANI (Non-HP-Brazil,ex1) wrote:

> I have used Debian to create a Boot CD. I've used two approaches:
>
> *             Create a CD with boot sector in Linux, but the lilo program
> didn't recognize a root=/dev/hdc, resulting the error: FATAL: Not a
> number: /dev/hdc. My lilo.conf is:
>
> lba32
> read-only
> vga=normal
> image=/vmlinuz
> ramdisk=49152
> root=/dev/hdc
>
> *             Create a CD with boot DOS and using loadlin to load Linux. I
> try use loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd, but the loader program always enter
> in /dev/hda1.
>
> I have read a Bootdisk-Howto and Loadlin manual and not discovery
> the problem. I have the Debian 2.2 (potato), loadlin 1.6, lilo 21.7-5 and
> yard. Any help welcome.

Take a look at Mindi:
http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/mindi/

It builds boot/root disk images using your existing kernel, modules,
tools and libraries. Then it generates an iso image of a bootable CD.
So just burn the Mindi iso image and you will have a bootable CD.

The next step is Mondo, which is the companion to Mindi:
 http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

Mondo is a complete backup and restore of your system to bootable CD's

I use both succesfully on my Debian and Slackware systems.