Re: Create install-CD from /var/cache/apt?

Johnny Ernst Nielsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how do I create a usable installation CD with downloaded packages that are
> currently in /var/cache/apt?
>
> I am running a standard Debian 2.2r3.
> I just installed KDE 2.1.1 using dselect to fetch and install packages
> from the net.
> I need to install this standard setup on other Debian 2.2r3 computers, and
> I don't want to spend the hours downloading the same packages every time.
> In some cases there will be no Internet connection to do that (or it will
> be unacceptably slow).
> So I would like to produce an installation CD with the packages in my
> cache. I would like to be able to simply add that CD to the sources.list
> as any other source, so I can use dselect to install.
>
> I have tried looking at apt-move, but I do not comprehend its usage.
> I have tried searching the lists for similar questions but I couldn't find
> any.

If you have a cd burner you can use a program called Mondo.
It will do a complete backup and restore of your system to bootable CD's.
But you can selectively restore any subset of data on the CD.

I use it to clone my Debian and Slackware systems to other partitons on my
hd. It makes a great disaster recovery disk, because you just boot the
Mondo created CD and it automatically restores your system to the hd.

It even will  re-partition your  hd's  and restore to different filesystems.
I used it to clone my ext2fs to reiserfs on one partition and ext3 on
another. You can find Mondo at:

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/