Re: triple install -- which bootmanager

On 8 Aug 2001, at 17:22, Joerg Johannes wrote:

> destruss@iowatelecom.net wrote:
> >
> > On 8 Aug 2001, at 9:43, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> >
> > > Hi list
> > >
> > > I was asked by a friend to install Debian on her system. No problem
> > > usually, but she wants german windows, japanese windows and linux on it.
> > > Now, it is no problem to dual-boot, but it is not very easy to dual-boot
> > > two windows versions (You have to hide one partition in order to use the
> > > other one, I think). Has anybody done this before? Any hints how I can
> > > install and boot it?
> > Hi joerg:
> > Lilo handles this, but you need to install the latest version
> > (lilo-21.7.5). lilo-21.7.5 has a program called activate
> > which handles hiding the partitions (previously you had to
> > download the source and make lilo with table_rewrite in it)
>
> I will have to download the sources from sid and compile it on potato,
> right?

 If sid is lilo-21.7.5, then yes. Otherwise where ever you can find it

> > Don't forget to backup anything valuable as one mistake
> > could wipe out all data.
>
> It will be an empzy box, but this advice is generally a good idea ;)
>
> > For the installs use linux cfdisk to manually hide partition
> > when installing a new os. It depends on what you have already
> > installed. You said you can dual boot so I'll assume you
> > have linux and a german window's already loaded and that
> > you have three partitions: hda1 with linux os, hda2 with german os, and hda3
> > partion with no operating system (perhaps formated for
> > german window's?).
>
> As mentioned above, a complete new install

 If you are doing a complete new install, I would first use win fdisk
to make three partitions. Format the first partition for one of win
os. Use that to install linux for a hard drive install on the third
partition. Then follow the instructions already given to install
the second win on the second partition. ( If using cd install of
linux, I'd install that first on the third partition this would give you
lilo to work with right from the start. Just be sure to make a boot
floppy start disk as every time you install win it will overwrite mbr
and so you'll need it to get back into linux with the floppy.)

> > Boot into linux and go to root. Start cfdisk.
>
> Is it on potato install cd's?

 I would assume so. I've always use hard-drive installs and cfdisk
always up right at the start to partition for linux. Once linux is
installed all need to do is be at root and type: cfdisk

> > Change hda2 partition type. If it is fat 32 (lba) the type is 0c. You need
> > to hide it by changing it to 1c (when you go into type it lists all the
> > various flavors). Write the new type and exit linux.
> > Boot with a floppy for the new os being installed. Go into win's
> > fdisk and check all the partions (number 4). You should see 2
> > non-dos partitions and one dos partition. It's important that hda2
> > is seen as non-dos or else you will be installing on hda2. If its
> > seen as a dos you need to go back into linux cfdisk and try
> > again to change the partition type.
> > If you do have 2 non-dos and one dos, you are ready to install.
> > If you are using the same file type you probably don't need to format
> > (but I guess it wouldn't hurt to format). If the new os is a different
> > file format you will need to format. Install new os.
> > Once install is complete, you need to use a linux boot floppy (as
> > the install will change mbr) to get back into linux. Change lilo.config
> > to reflect your new "other" os. Run lilo and if lilo doesn't complain,
> > it should show it's adding all three os. (If lilo complains "CHANGE
> > AUTOMATIC assumed", then add CHANGE AUTOMATIC in
> > lilo.config under the two win entries.)
> > Reboot and you should get lilo boot menu listing your three os.
> > good luck. HTH Dean
>
> So I'm going to install the two windowzes and then Debian. Hope it
> works, and thank you for the detailed description

 This won't work. You need debian to hide the first win. So either
install one win, then linux, and then win. Or linux, one win, and last
win. linux will happily install with win, and win will install with linux,
but win will not install with win. That's why you need to hide the
first win.  HTH            Dean