Re: triple install -- which bootmanager

destruss@iowatelecom.net wrote:

> On 8 Aug 2001, at 9:43, Joerg Johannes wrote:
>
> > Hi list
> >
> > I was asked by a friend to install Debian on her system. No problem
> > usually, but she wants german windows, japanese windows and linux on it.
> > Now, it is no problem to dual-boot, but it is not very easy to dual-boot
> > two windows versions (You have to hide one partition in order to use the
> > other one, I think). Has anybody done this before? Any hints how I can
> > install and boot it?
> Hi joerg:
> Lilo handles this, but you need to install the latest version
> (lilo-21.7.5). lilo-21.7.5 has a program called activate
> which handles hiding the partitions (previously you had to
> download the source and make lilo with table_rewrite in it)

I will have to download the sources from sid and compile it on potato,
right?

> Don't forget to backup anything valuable as one mistake
> could wipe out all data.

It will be an empzy box, but this advice is generally a good idea ;)

> For the installs use linux cfdisk to manually hide partition
> when installing a new os. It depends on what you have already
> installed. You said you can dual boot so I'll assume you
> have linux and a german window's already loaded and that
> you have three partitions: hda1 with linux os, hda2 with german os, and hda3
> partion with no operating system (perhaps formated for
> german window's?).

As mentioned above, a complete new install

> Boot into linux and go to root. Start cfdisk.

Is it on potato install cd's?

> Change hda2 partition type. If it is fat 32 (lba) the type is 0c. You need
> to hide it by changing it to 1c (when you go into type it lists all the
> various flavors). Write the new type and exit linux.
> Boot with a floppy for the new os being installed. Go into win's
> fdisk and check all the partions (number 4). You should see 2
> non-dos partitions and one dos partition. It's important that hda2
> is seen as non-dos or else you will be installing on hda2. If its
> seen as a dos you need to go back into linux cfdisk and try
> again to change the partition type.
> If you do have 2 non-dos and one dos, you are ready to install.
> If you are using the same file type you probably don't need to format
> (but I guess it wouldn't hurt to format). If the new os is a different
> file format you will need to format. Install new os.
> Once install is complete, you need to use a linux boot floppy (as
> the install will change mbr) to get back into linux. Change lilo.config
> to reflect your new "other" os. Run lilo and if lilo doesn't complain,
> it should show it's adding all three os. (If lilo complains "CHANGE
> AUTOMATIC assumed", then add CHANGE AUTOMATIC in
> lilo.config under the two win entries.)
> Reboot and you should get lilo boot menu listing your three os.
> good luck. HTH Dean

So I'm going to install the two windowzes and then Debian. Hope it
works, and thank you for the detailed description

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.