Re: ATA 100 module

> >>Hi,
> >>yes it is Kernel 2.2.19pre9. The modules supplied by the Mainboard are
> >>named  rh61-u100.pat
> >>and rh62-u100.pat and i can't see for which kernel they were made. Insmod
> >>doesn't accept these files.
> >>By the way - I installed Suse 7.1 and it worked without any problem. Where
> >>do they hide their drivers
> >>and can I use them with debian?
> >>Thanks Joerg
> >>

> > Hmm, I think these are kernel patches. Are there no readme files on the
> > disk?
> >
> > However, you have to compile a new kernel. I could not find any Promise
> > support in 2.2.19, but in 2.4 kernels there is an option
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX (PROMISE PDC20246/PDC20262/PDC20267 support (NEW))
> > which supports Promise Ultra100 chipsets. This is in a 2.4.7 kernel, do
> > not know if it is supported in previous 2.4 kernels.
> >
> > I think this is the only way out for you. Get the 2.4 kernel source and
> > the default 2.2.19 Debian kernel config (in /boot/config-2.2.19, I could
> > send you it if you wish), copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config, make
> > oldconfig, and enable the option above.
> >
> > After compilation, store the kernel image, the modules (and the config) in
> > a .tgz, make a bootfloppy with your new kernel and use that to boot off
> > the install program. As soon as you can, untar the modules to your new
> > partition and use make your system bootable with your new kernel.
> >

> What documentation would anyone recommend to be clear on the files and
> procedures described above.  I am a very experienced programmer who has
> never written a program for a *nix system.
>
> I really don't even know what and where the best documentation on my
> potato system is.  I have read the complete Installing Debian GNU/Linux
> 2.2 For Intel x86 and many other doc's I have found at LDP and other places.

I do not know if there is any information available for it. The path I
described above is just a creative one. I think it is wise to read some
kernel documentation (Kernel-HOWTO). Documentation is in /usr/share/doc
and in /usr/doc.

But if you already have a system installed, it is even simpler: just build
a new 2.4 kernel and reboot. There is no need to reinstall the entire
system.

Greetz,
Sebastiaa