Re: ATA 100 module

Sebastiaan wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Dr. Joerg Hettwer wrote:

Sebastiaan wrote:

High,

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Dr. Joerg Hettwer wrote:

Hi everybody
I tried to install debian potato on my new A7V133.
My Harddisk is connected to the Promise ATA 100 and should be /dev/hde.
The drivers that came with the board belong to Red Hat, and "potato"
doesn't reckognize the Harddisk - instead it is asking for a module for
the Promise Controller.  Does anybody know where I can find them?
Thanks Joerg

I do not think that they are only for Redhat. Which kernel does your
Debian install have (probably 2.2.19)? Which kernels are on the driver
disk? If there is a module for 2.2.19, then start the installation, swap
to the second console and activate it, mount your floppy and insmod the
correct module.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

Hi,
yes it is Kernel 2.2.19pre9. The modules supplied by the Mainboard are
named  rh61-u100.pat
and rh62-u100.pat and i can't see for which kernel they were made. Insmod
doesn't accept these files.
By the way - I installed Suse 7.1 and it worked without any problem. Where
do they hide their drivers
and can I use them with debian?
Thanks Joerg

Hmm, I think these are kernel patches. Are there no readme files on the
disk?

However, you have to compile a new kernel. I could not find any Promise
support in 2.2.19, but in 2.4 kernels there is an option
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX (PROMISE PDC20246/PDC20262/PDC20267 support (NEW))
which supports Promise Ultra100 chipsets. This is in a 2.4.7 kernel, do
not know if it is supported in previous 2.4 kernels.
I think this is the only way out for you. Get the 2.4 kernel source and
the default 2.2.19 Debian kernel config (in /boot/config-2.2.19, I could
send you it if you wish), copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config, make
oldconfig, and enable the option above.

After compilation, store the kernel image, the modules (and the config) in
a .tgz, make a bootfloppy with your new kernel and use that to boot off
the install program. As soon as you can, untar the modules to your new
partition and use make your system bootable with your new kernel.

What documentation would anyone recommend to be clear on the files and procedures described above. I am a very experienced programmer who has never written a program for a *nix system.

I really don't even know what and where the best documentation on my potato system is. I have read the complete Installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 For Intel x86 and many other doc's I have found at LDP and other places.

TIA,

Paul Scott