Re: XMMS hanging system?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:29:22 Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:58:41PM -0400, Steve Gran wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I've just experienced my first ever system crashes.  They were all
> within
> > the last several days (after an upgrade that included an upgrade of
> XMMS),
> > and they all happened shortly after opening XMMS.  There were only
> three
> > total, and it's not consistent, but XMMS & X are the only consistent
> > factors.  I saw that someone else was having some problems with system
> > hangs, and so I regenerated my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on the off chance
> that
> > that was it, but it continued.  Anybody else having any problems with
> this?
> >  I took a look at the bug reports, and saw some related problems, but
> > nothing that seemed to be this bad - I'm getting total lockups (no
> keyboard
> > response, even).
> > I'm not sure how to troubleshoot - I've looked through the various
> logfiles
> > in /var/, and it doesn't look like there are any obvious error
> messages,
> > although I'm kind of a newbie at this.  Any responses or suggestions
> would
> > be appreciated.  I've only been running Debian for about six months,
> but
> > thisa is the first hang, and (although it was in a sick way nice to
> know
> > that nothing is perfect) fairly upsetting.  In the meantime, I'm not
> using
> > XMMS, to see if my box will hang whithout it.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Steve
>
> Since you say there is nothing in the logs, is doesn't sound like the
> kernel crashed.  Perhaps just X got frozen?  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is
> usually set to kill X.
>
> Helps if you give info about the type of system and kernel version.

Sorry about that - I realized I forgot to put all that information in after
I sent it off.  I'm running Woody on a 2.4.7 kernel.  The box is built
around a P III chip, with an assortment of hard drives, cd drives, SCSI,
USB, and so forth.  Relevant version numbers:
xserver-common  4.0.3-4
xserver-xfree86 4.0.3-4
libesd0         0.2.22-6
libc6           2.2.3-5
xmms            1.2.5-1.1
Not sure if you'll need anything else.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would ordinarily
work just fine, but the keyboard is also locked out - nothing works.

Thanks again,
Steve