XMMS hanging system?

Hello all,
I've just experienced my first ever system crashes.  They were all within
the last several days (after an upgrade that included an upgrade of XMMS),
and they all happened shortly after opening XMMS.  There were only three
total, and it's not consistent, but XMMS & X are the only consistent
factors.  I saw that someone else was having some problems with system
hangs, and so I regenerated my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on the off chance that
that was it, but it continued.  Anybody else having any problems with this?
 I took a look at the bug reports, and saw some related problems, but
nothing that seemed to be this bad - I'm getting total lockups (no keyboard
response, even).
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot - I've looked through the various logfiles
in /var/, and it doesn't look like there are any obvious error messages,
although I'm kind of a newbie at this.  Any responses or suggestions would
be appreciated.  I've only been running Debian for about six months, but
thisa is the first hang, and (although it was in a sick way nice to know
that nothing is perfect) fairly upsetting.  In the meantime, I'm not using
XMMS, to see if my box will hang whithout it.
Thanks in advance,
Steve