Re: LT WinModem and kernel headers

Guy Geens wrote:

"Paul" == Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> writes:

Paul> I am trying to get my LT WinModem running under potato
Paul> 2.2.19pre17 #1 I have downloaded what seem to be the files I
Paul> need. Running the install script appropriate for Debian I get
Paul> this which I believe is the relevant part of the script output:

Best way to make the package, is to use the --with-kernel-dir= option
to tell it where the kernel is. (I usually compile my own kernels, so
I had the full source tree installed. Never tried it with only the
headers.)

I'm still reading every fine manual I can but can you tell me how I identify the kernel? Are you talking about executable or source? I actually D/L'd the entired source last night but I'm not sure if I installed it correctly. apt-get install left me with a tar.bz2 and I 'm not sure I unpacked in the right folder.

The latest version seems to have problems when you try to compile
against a different kernel version than the one you're running.

I was trying not to do that but I couldn't find header files which seemed to be the exact same version as the kernel that I had installed. I did my install from official CD's but I don't remember every step. There are supposed to be fout flavors of 2.2.19pre17: vanilla, compact, idepci and udma66. I only found headers for compact and idepci.

I had
to reboot with the new kernel before the build succeeded.

Thanks,

Paul