LT WinModem and kernel headers

Hi,

I am an experienced programmer who still has a lot to learn/remember about *nix.

I am trying to get my LT WinModem running under potato 2.2.19pre17 #1 I have downloaded what seem to be the files I need. Running the install script appropriate for Debian I get this which I believe is the relevant part of the script output:

checking for make... yes
checking for ld... yes
Checking for kernel headers
  ... in /usr/src/linux: nope
  ... in /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17: nope
  ... in /usr/src/linux-2.2.19pre17: nope
ERROR: No kernel headers found.
  If you have kernel headers installed but configure did not
  find them, please try --with-kernel=dir, otherwise please
  install the kernel headers from your distribution.
make: Nothing to be done for `debian'.
The configuration utility is absent!

How can I tell what headers are missing? Duh! Should I go read the install script?

How do I install them?

I have been reading anything I can to get a basic understanding here. Any suggestions of what to read or what to do would be very welcome.

TIA,

Paul Scott