Cannot run a perl script | Fail to install php4

Hi there!

I have just run into a strange problem.
I am installing (or try to ) PHP4 for Apache 1.3.20.
The installation of Apache was as smooth as possible.
But now, when I tryed to configure PHP, I suddently faced the following problem:
apxs wont run!!

file says: /opt/httpd/bin/apxs: perl script text

the apxs starts with "#!/usr/bin/perl/  "
and ls -lA prompts: "-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        21933 Aug  2 21:27 apxs "

perl is in the path and if I type perl  /opt/httpd/bin/apxs, the proggy runs as expected.

the errormessage from ./configure also is no real help:
"checking for Apache module support via DSO through APXS...
./configure: /opt/httpd/bin/: is a directory
Sorry, I was not able to successfully run APXS.  Possible reasons:
1.  Perl is not installed;
2.  Apache was not compiled with DSO support (--enable-module=so);
3.  'apxs' is not in your path. "

/opt/httpd/bin/httpd -l  promts:
"Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
    mod_so.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /opt/httpd/bin/suexec"

(suexec isn't wanted, so it's no problem)

Can somebody help me?

Thanx in advance

Andreas Maresch