tiff to jpeg

I need to batch convert tiff images to jpegs. I'm using the latest ImageMagick, however everytime I try "convert this.tif this.jpg" I can hear the harddrive crunching, but I never get a response and must cancel the operation. The tif images are Group IV, which some other converters (like the latest /usr/bin/thumbnail) no longer support this compression type. Is there an older version of ImageMagick I need to use? Or is there another program which can handle this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz