centrally managed bookmarks for multiple users, accessible from everywhere?

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep bookmarks
on a central machine where one could access and change them
via any browser than can ``connect'' to the bookmark server.

To elaborate:
It seems to me that one could adapt a standard database program
like mysql that listens to connections from the network
to centrally manage bookmarks from a multitude of users
in such a way they could add and delete entries from a browser
running anywhere. Perhaps the newer opensource browsers will have
a module like this?