Re: PCMCIA Ethernet card in 2.4.6 kernel

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:54:05PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> * Aaron Traas <adt6247@njit.edu> spake thus:
> > tried to download the pcmcia-source package (although it looks like
> > these directions were meant exclusively for the 2.2 series kernels),
> > and the make-kpkg modules_image failed. What am I doing wrong? Do I
> > need to modprobe a module (no modules are running under the 2.4.6
> > kernel I compiled)? If so, which one?
>
> I download the kernel from ftp.kernel.org, compile it and install it the
> normal way. I also download the proper source for pcmcia_cs and compile
> this after I compile the new kernel. Works every time for me.

In fact, installing the debian packages works fine, no need to grab
the source from anywhere else.  Just got 2.4.7 working yesterday on a
Tecra 8100 with a 3c589 and an orinoco 802.11b card.

Packages I installed:

  kernel-source-2.4.7
  pcmcia-cs

Don't install pcmcia-source ... it will ruin your whole life :)

I compiled a kernel using kernel-package ... let me know if you want
to see my config.  Basically, I included PCMCIA support compiled in,
but all the cards as modules.  Note that things are spread throughout
the config ... PCMCIA support is under "General Options", but the
network cards are under "Network device support"; "PCMCIA network
device support" ... I missed 802.11b stuff the first time because they
are under "Network device support"; "Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)".

After I installed the kernel and rebooted, my 3c589 was recongnised
just fine though not automatically configured.  I didn't spend much
time on that because my 802.11b card was not recognised at all ...
took me a while to figure that out.  I'll try to put that info on a
web page or something since no one's asking about it specifically at
the moment.

HTH,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.