Re: Lucent 56k WinModem

Deven,

> Hi, I'm having a problem installing the driver for my Lucent 56k WinModem. My
> lspci -vv readout says I have a "Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k". I'm
> trying to install the "Lucent LT Modem driver", which seems to be correct.
> The installation goes through without incident or error, but when I reboot,
> it doesn't detect my card as a Lucent. DMESG doesn't give any useful output
> either.

Is the Lucent LT Modem driver a binary driver?  My recollection was
that Lucent provides a binary driver for their winmodems, but because
they don't release the source code, the module will only work with the
same kernel it was compiled against.  I have a laptop that came with a
2.2 kernel and the correct Lucent driver.  As soon as I went to 2.4,
the modem vanished.  Check out www.linmodems.org (or something like
that).  It's a site devoted to getting winmodems to work under Linux.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley         930 Koyukuk Drive
System / Network Manager        University of Alaska Fairbanks

phone: 907-474-2689             fax: 907-474-2643
email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu    GNUPG and PGP2 keys at my web site
  web: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle