Re: Newbie Tips: Will, you asked.....

on Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:47:22AM -0500, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 10:36:12AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > From the better-late-than-sober dept.
> >
> > ...there's also 'chvt' which allows directly targeting any virtual
> > terminal:
> >
> >     $ chvt 1
> >     $ chvt 100

I showed an example of switching to the 100th virtual terminal just to
show that it's possible to switch to a VT that can't be addressed in one
keystroke (e.g.:  <F1>-<F12>.

In reality, most people will have fewer than 100 VTs.  My current
session has 63 VTs, and this may be larger than what's compiled into the
kernel by default (I believe it's a compilation setting).  A better
example might show some lower, but useful, number.

The second issue is that, by default, there isn't much to see above the
first half dozen or so VTs.  Default init runs a getty on VTs 1-6, and X
usually grabs VT 7.  You can fill other consoles (I dump logging output
to VT 12, for example), but you have to fill them -- there's nothing
there by default.

I'll leave as an exercise to Will how to boil all this down to a
meaningful newbie tip ;-)  I think the current one may be a bit
misleading.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal