Re: Newbie Tips: Will, you asked.....

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:46:58AM -0700, Hamma Scott wrote:
>> --
>> DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #25 from Will Trillich
>> <will@serensoft.com>
>> :
>> Did you know you have MORE THAN ONE CONSOLE to use?  There's
>> six, by default: try Control-Alt-F6 to see console six,
>> Ctl-Alt-F3 for console 3, and so forth. (If you don't use the
>> X window display system, you don't need to include the control
>> key.) Each console can have its own login, running its own
>> jobs. Very handy!
>>
>> Also see http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/ ...

> This might be more correct by saying
>
> ...try Alt-F6..... (If you are coming from the X GUI
> display use Control-Alt-F3 to get to console 3. To
> switch to the GUI environment use Control-Alt-F7)
>
> Nitpicking and the fact the X needs to be running
> should be mentioned, and maybe that makes it a little
> too long for a Tip, but I just wanted you to know that
> they are being read.

maybe i misunderstand -- X does NOT need to be running in order
for someone to change to another virtual console: alt-F3, alt-F6
work just fine.

when you DO use X, it takes over the first available
(not-already reserved as a virtual console) slot which is
#7 by default, reached via alt-F7.

once you are IN the X window display environment, you need to
add CONTROL to the ALT-Fkeys: ctl-alt-f1, ctl-alt-f4, etc.

so, did i read your note correctly?

but i certainly did forget to mention how to get back IN to the
X arena. eesh! (thanks!)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #25 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Did you know you have MORE THAN ONE CONSOLE to use? There's
six, by default: try Control-Alt-F6 to see console six,
Ctl-Alt-F3 for console 3, and so forth. (If you don't use the X
window display system, you don't need to include the control
key. If you do have X running, you can return to it from any
console via alt-F7, unless you've changed the defaults.) Each