Re: Newbie Tips: Will, you asked.....

--- will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:46:58AM -0700, Hamma
> Scott wrote:
> >> --
> >> DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #25 from Will Trillich
> >> <will@serensoft.com>
> >> :
> >> Did you know you have MORE THAN ONE CONSOLE to
> use?  There's
> >> six, by default: try Control-Alt-F6 to see
> console six,
> >> Ctl-Alt-F3 for console 3, and so forth. (If you
> don't use the
> >> X window display system, you don't need to
> include the control
> >> key.) Each console can have its own login,
> running its own
> >> jobs. Very handy!
> >>
> >> Also see http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/ ...
>
> > This might be more correct by saying
> >
> > ...try Alt-F6..... (If you are coming from the X
> GUI
> > display use Control-Alt-F3 to get to console 3. To
> > switch to the GUI environment use Control-Alt-F7)
> >
> > Nitpicking and the fact the X needs to be running
> > should be mentioned, and maybe that makes it a
> little
> > too long for a Tip, but I just wanted you to know
> that
> > they are being read.
>
> maybe i misunderstand -- X does NOT need to be
> running in order
> for someone to change to another virtual console:
> alt-F3, alt-F6
> work just fine.
>
> when you DO use X, it takes over the first available
> (not-already reserved as a virtual console) slot
> which is
> #7 by default, reached via alt-F7.
>
> once you are IN the X window display environment,
> you need to
> add CONTROL to the ALT-Fkeys: ctl-alt-f1,
> ctl-alt-f4, etc.
>
> so, did i read your note correctly?
I Never knew you could move to X with Alt-F7! I've
been use Ctrl-Alt-F7 considering you need the same key
configuration to get out (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]).

People tend to remember the first and sometimes the
last thing you tell them. To start with saying

"try Control-Alt-F6 to see console six"

and I would tend to have people think "OK, this is how
I change to virtual consoles". Instead IMHO, people
should be presented with the Alt-F6 and told, if
you're in X (or you're GUI environment to make it more
generic) use Control-Alt-F6 instead of saying
use Control-Alt-F6 to see console six unless you're
NOT using X.
I told you it was nit-picking! ;-)

Scott