Re: Newbie Tips: Will, you asked.....

on Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:12:09AM -0500, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 05:27:04AM -0700, Hamma Scott wrote:

<...>

> 	DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #25 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
> 	:
> 	Did you know you have MORE THAN ONE CONSOLE to use? There's
> 	six, by default: try Control-Alt-F6 to see console six,
> 	Ctl-Alt-F3 for console 3, and so forth. (If you don't use the X
> 	window display system, you don't need to include the control
> 	key. If you do have X running, you can return to it from any
> 	console via Alt-F7, unless you've changed the defaults.) Each
> 	console can have its own login, running its own jobs. Very
> 	handy!
>
> and for Alt-LEFTARROW and Alt-RIGHTARROW, i think a separate tip
> is warranted. :)

From the better-late-than-sober dept.

...there's also 'chvt' which allows directly targeting any virtual
terminal:

    $ chvt 1
    $ chvt 100

Under Debian, this is packaged in console-tools.

This I've found handy when I've hosed an X session (but not the entire
system) and can still ssh in remotely.  Running 'chvt 1' gets me console
on the box (or confirms the display's hosed).  This can also be useful
for entertaining yourself at a coworker's expense ;-)

Cheers.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!