postgresql 7.1 oddness

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:09:42PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> to connect to a remote postgresql server, we can use psql thus:
>
> 	psql -h 192.168.1.2 distantdbname

but not the old-fashioned

	psql distantdbname@192.168.1.2

any more. how come?

> with psql v7.0.3 i could be INSIDE psql already and do
>
> 	somedb=# \c anotherdb
> 	anotherdb=# \c remotedb@192.168.1.2
> 	remotedb=# \d
>
> but with 7.1 i get
>
> 	somedb=# \c anotherdb
> 	anotherdb=# \c remotedb@192.168.1.2
> 	FATAL 1:  Database "remotedb@192.168.1.2" does not exist in the system catalog.
> 	Previous connection kept
> 	anotherdb=# \q
>
> is there a fix i missed?

i asked this on the postgresql-general list, and they're
pointing me back to the debian-specific port... :/

would it be "Bad Dog" to write a wrapper to take care of the
command-line "psql db@addr" portion at least?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #71 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
: