Re: fixed frequency monitors

On 29-Jul-01 Sam Varghese wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 11:02:48AM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
>> On 29-Jul-01 Sam Varghese wrote:
>> Red, Green and Blue, the synchronisation signal
>> goes on the Green channel, and the resolution is
>> fixed at 1280x1024. In this case the main issue is
>> coping with the sync-on-green.
>
> Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply in so
> much detail.
>
> I probably will look for the adaptor which you mentioned
> as these monitors are both Mac monitors - Supermac STD9782-E.
>
> I've managed to find the vertical and horizontal sync rates.
>
> Does the sync on green mean that you can't use a terminal
> while in X?

No -- it's rather the other way round: in XF86Config you can
set 'Option "sync_on_green"' so that you get it when X is
running (the X driver sends some magic signals to the card so
that it generates a sync signal on the green channel), whereas
when you're in text mode that hasn't happened (or has been reset)
so the monitor doesn't get the sync signal.

Since these really are Mac monitors, I'd guess that the ideal
solution would be the adaptors: then you should get the sync
signal in every case because it's physically wired across in
the adaptor, and these adaptors are supposed to be made
precisely for the job of connecting a Mac monitor to a PC.

However, I'm no expert on Mac monitors (once I briefly used
one, of old vintage, with such an adaptor), so rather than
trust me in every detail do enquire carefully about the
combination of adaptor and model of monitor. The situation
is subtly different from a sync-on-green generated from the
card itself, since that has somewhat different voltage and
timing characteristics from the sync signal which comes down
the sync lines on a PC (actually there are two, vertical sync
and horizontal sync, and the adaptor uses electronics to drop
one of them onto the green line).

Once again, good luck!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>