Re: fixed frequency monitors

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 11:02:48AM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> NOTE: As I say, it works fine in X. However, it won't work in text
> mode since it's not getting the sync-on-green (which isn't started
> up until X starts). All I get in text mode is shimmering horizontal
> lines, and I suspect one is stuck with that in Linux (though I believe
> there are drivers, but not for Linux, which can set the sync-on-green
> for all modes). So in that case I either boot up with the monitor
> switched off, start X "blind", and then switch it on; or I can telnet
> in from another machine.

I have a HP 1097C, console is possible 2 ways with a matrox card:

SVGAtextmode supports sync on green with matrox cards, here's what I
have in /etc/TextConfig:

[...]
Chipset "matrox"
clockchip "ti3026"      # for the Millennium
Option "sync_on_green"
HorizSync 78.125
VertRefresh 72.008

"HP80x42" 76 640 700 744 870  512 512 517 542 font 9x12 Doublescan

DefaultMode "HP80x42"
[...]

Or you can use the matrox framebuffer driver. You will probably have to
compile a new kernel that supports this. I have the following line in my
/etc/lilo.conf:

append ="video=matrox:sync:0x28,xres:1280,yres:1024,depth:8,pixclock:7407,
left:192,right:64,upper:55,lower:3,hslen:192,vslen:3"

NB: This is one big long line in my lilo.conf; lilo doesn't seem to like
split lines.

I prefer the framebuffer approach because you get a stable console
much earlier in the boot sequece. SVGATextMode does not start until
after a lot of the initial fscks, etc, so if your computer gets stuck
doing a slow fsck you can't tell what's going on.

Also, for the original poster, if the monitors require composite sync,
some ATI cards support this (as well as matrox).

There are some schematics out on the net for hardware sync combiners if
you are handy with a soldering iron. (I got lazy and bought a $30 matrox
card myself)

HTH

dave t.

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all