Re: ext2 -> reiserfs

on Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 08:45:47AM +0200, Sven Hoexter (sven@telelev.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 02:27:04PM +0800, Tao Liu wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 July 2001 09:51, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > on Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 03:58:24PM -0700, Shriram Shrikumar

> > >   - Back up ext2fs partition.
> > >   - mkreiserfs on the partition.
> > >   - Restore data to partition.
> > >
> > > It's called the reiserfs shuffle.
> > how to convert / or /usr to reiserfs?
>
> 1. Build a knew kernel with reiserfs Support build-in
> 2. Boot with a rescue system and mount a NFS share.
> 3. mkreiserfs the partion and restore the data
> 4. edit your /etc/fstab
> 5. reboot and hope that this was the right order to do it ;-)

That's one way.

I think I used the LinuxCare BBC, a bootable, linux-on-a-disk system, v.
1.5 has reiserfs support ;-)  This allowed me to boot, mount my root
partition under the BBC system, backup, make filesystem, and restore.

You may also want to create a separate /boot partition (20-30 MB is
sufficient, probably more than), and park your kernels there.

If you're thinking ahead, you might also create a second boot partition,
and make sure it's kept up-to-date with your main root partition.  This
makes tricks such as repartitioning easier (boot backup, repartition
main, then boot main and repartition backup).  This can also come in
handy if there are problems with the main partition.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal