Re: esound

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:17:43 -0400
Steve Gran <gashuffer09@home.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:23:44 Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > I'm having some weird esd behaviour as well. Specifically, if I log
> out
> > and another user (visiting friends) log in, or vice versa, esd refuses
> > play. I find that doing a 'killall -HUP esd' as root fixes the
> problem.
> > It's probably some sort of permissions problem, but I can't figure it
> out
> > as the esound documentation is woefully out of date, and I am to lazy
> > look at the source right now.
> >
> > Mart
> >
> > --
> That was the same problem I had before the upgrade - it wouldn't
> disconnect
> from one user on logout.  I found that the normal ps ax then kill <pid>
> worked just fine, although it was a little clunky and I would have
> preferred it to work as it was supposed to.  Now it's not running at all
> as
> far as I can tell, but nobody can use it.  Hmm . . .
> Steve

Well I don't know where I heard it first, but there *is* a rumour that esd
is about to be orphaned, or at least decoupled from gnome. For me, I'd
like that because it is way too temperamental, OTOH, the alternative seems
to be arts (bloated).
So, I'm stumped, like you. I hope someone makes a decision soon, because
I'd sure like to have my sound without problems.

Mart

--
'Quoth the mailserver: 554!'