Re: esound

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:23:44 Mart van de Wege wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:31:42 -0400
> Steve Gran <gashuffer09@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I'm having an interesting problem - esound has up and quit on me for
> > some
> > reason.  I'm running Debian testing, and it worked just fine (although
> > occasionally it wouldn't disconnect from a user after logout) up until
> > few weeks ago.  I ran an apt-get upgrade, and esound was one of the
> > packages that got upgrade.  Now I get the error message "Unable to
> > connect
> > to UNIX socket /var/run/esound/socket".  I checked to make sure it
> > wasn't
> > something silly, like the directory not existing, but sure enough, the
> > directory is there.  It's owned by root, but I assume that's as should
> > be.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I'm having some weird esd behaviour as well. Specifically, if I log out
> and another user (visiting friends) log in, or vice versa, esd refuses to
> play. I find that doing a 'killall -HUP esd' as root fixes the problem.
> It's probably some sort of permissions problem, but I can't figure it out
> as the esound documentation is woefully out of date, and I am to lazy to
> look at the source right now.
>
> Mart
>
> --
That was the same problem I had before the upgrade - it wouldn't disconnect
from one user on logout.  I found that the normal ps ax then kill <pid>
worked just fine, although it was a little clunky and I would have
preferred it to work as it was supposed to.  Now it's not running at all as
far as I can tell, but nobody can use it.  Hmm . . .
Steve