Re: How do I find my local IP assigned by my ISP when using pon, etc?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:07:13AM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention one complication, I am
> setting this machine up for someone who will not have root access (I
> will retain that). I am doing this so that they cannot "mess up" their
> own machine...
>
> The user will be able, from a user account, do a pon, poff, etc. to
> connect to the ISP. So, my challenge is to have the scripts run from
> user level security and install the firewall rules.
>
> How do I do this?

Make sure that the user is in the "dialout" group, so she can run pon
and poff to start and stop a dialin session determined by one of the
files in /etc/ppp/peers/.  When ppp has brought up a link, it starts
the /etc/ppp/ip-up and passes it several parameters, among which is the
assigned local ip address.

When you install the ipmasq package, it installs a script in the
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ directory, that is read in turn by /etc/ppp/ip-up.
The ipmasq script will automatically setup your machine as a masquerading
gateway.

Cheers,

Joost