Re: How do I find my local IP assigned by my ISP when using pon, etc?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:07:13AM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
| Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention one complication, I am
| setting this machine up for someone who will not have root access (I
| will retain that). I am doing this so that they cannot "mess up" their
| own machine...

Sounds good.

| The user will be able, from a user account, do a pon, poff, etc. to
| connect to the ISP. So, my challenge is to have the scripts run from
| user level security and install the firewall rules.
|
| How do I do this?

No problem -- just install the ipmasq package.  This is how I have my
system setup.  I provided a login for my family to use and they just
run 'pon' (or the scrIpt i made call dial-modem.sh that doesn't
terminate until the ppp0 interface exists).  Regular users can still
run /sbin/ifconfig, it just isn't in their path.

-D