Re: A NEWBIE inquiry......

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:29:55 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> If you want to share files between Mandrake and Debian, pick a partition
> to share (such as /dev/hda5), and make sure each distro mounts that
> partition. For example, if /dev/hda3 is your /home directory in
> Mandrake, and /dev/hda5 is your /home in Debian, you can use just one,
> say /dev/hda3, as your /home in both distros. Just change "/etc/fstab"
> on the Debian side to mount /home on 3 instead of on 5. (CAVEAT: I
> vaguely remember that there may be some sort of issue with this type of
> sharing, but I can't recall what it might be; other list members can
> perhaps confirm or deny this vague recollection.)

You're right, there is one thing to look out for if you share your /home
partition: both distro's must use the same numerical user-id. I seem to
remember that Debian is the only distro to number them starting from 1000,
and that all other distro's start from 500. If Mandrake indeed behaves
this way, you're in a world of hurt, otherwise the only issue would be to
keep application versions in sync, as they might not like newer config
files (for example, the newest xemacs in Debian use a .xemacs directory,
whereas older versions just do with a file).

Mart

--
'Quoth the mailserver: 554!'